Sunday, August 22, 2010

Music I Wish I had in 2009: Part 2: Jazz Themed!

As summer is nearing an end, I've been getting slightly sick of listening to new [dare I say hipster?] indie music all the time, so I thought I would try to diversify my blog a little bit more by posting Jazz related articles. Now as we all know, fall season can sometimes suck. School goes back in session, just as you forgot everything taught last year. The big summer vacation just ended and you forgot to function on a work schedule. Shit starts falling from the sky and you retaliate by smashing your neighbor's pumpkins on their stoop. And then even worse, Winter shows up. So under all the enmity against fall, Jazz will help sedate the notion of the various fluid colors enveloping your lawn.


Vijay Iyer Trio- Historicity


Probably the most "mainstream" appealing Jazz album of 2009. If you want just one good Jazz album from 2009, I suggest you start with Vijay Iyer (My favorite from here: Mystic Brew).


Galang (trio riot version)


Mystic Brew


Well if you enjoyed y first Jazz album I wish I had, then check out this list of the Top 10 Jazz Records of 2009 by NPR, especially Allen Toussaint, Ran Blake, Buika & Chucho Valdes, Diego Barber. That list will surely convince one to find a red leather couch by an open fire while holding a novel in one hand and brandy in the other.

No comments: